[IP] Re: email @ redacted 9yr old on pump "vacation"

<<<From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #14

Well...I knew there'd come a time when I needed
to write for advice...my nine
year old daugher (diagnosed @ 5yrs...pumping 5
months) went hysterical two
nights ago and began yelling she was tired of >>>

She probably is trying to control this situation. My
son is now almost 13, but also diagnosed at 5 yrs old.
He also has bouts of hating the Diabetes monster.
That's so normal. (I do too) The pump "honeymoon" has
probably worn off, and even though she's had it a
while, there is a lot of learning and adjusting still
being done. Pumping is different, and it may remind
her more that she has diabetes. She may not have liked
shots, pump gives more freedom, but she was used to
shots for half her life. None of us like change. Her
frustration could be in part the pump, in part the
disease, in part being 9 yrs old and realizing more
and more that she has something most other kids her
age do not. Pre-puberty and hormones may also be
playing a part. Sounds like a pump "vacation" is a
good idea for her; maybe suggest to her scheduling
another one in the future. Maybe if she knows she has
options,she will feel more in control in a positive
Rae (Ryan's mom)

Do You Yahoo!?