Re: [IP] Reading of 140 in nondiabetic child

In a message dated 3/20/00 6:07:47 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My sister's little boy wanted her to test his blood sugar after she did
 and it was 140.   I told her to wash his hands and try again and it was 135.
 I know it's not that high but she said he hadn't eaten in a while and he is
 not sick.  Any thoughts?  She is freaking out right now and I'd like to try
 to give her some feed back tonight >>

This is from the Joslin site:

Non-diabetic blood sugar ranges

Before breakfast                                            60 - 110
Before lunch, supper, and bedtime snack        60 - 120
One hour after meals                                     less than or equal
to 140
Two hours after meals                                   less than or equal to
2:00 am - 4:00 am                                        greater than or
equal to 70

Also, he may have drank some chocolate milk or something that she forgot
about. I know I freaked out once when my grandson registered in the 140s (I
didn't even know what "normal" people were *supposed* to run) and called a
CDE friend of mine. Turns out he'd drank two glasses of milk right before the

Best thing, however, is to ask the child's doc to run a test.

Good luck,