Re: [IP] I need help with basal rates!

In a message dated 03/15/2000 8:11:51 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My am fasting bg is almost
 always over 200.  My total basal rates have ranged from 12.0 to 18.0 per
 day at different times as we have tried to set the rates.  >>

Just my 2 cents worth, but have you tried lowering your pre-dawn basal?  I
had mine up way too high for what I thought was dawn phenom, but turns out
that I was crashing and rebounding about 4-5 am each day.  My old basals were
0.8 and 0.9 most of the day, except for 1.4 from 4am until 10am for dawn
phenom.  I always awoke at 250+.   Tried everything under the sun.  Finally,
on the advice of a post here, and against my better judgement, lowered my
4am-10am to 1.0.   Bingo!!! That worked and my am bgs are much better now,
more like 90-140.   I also found that I rise fast in the am after I get up,
so I've been taking a 1-2U bolus upon waking, and this has evened out my

As always, basals are a LARGE, YMMV item, and this is ONLY what worked for
me.  But it was something I haden't considered doing until I read several
posts here.

Thank you to everyone who makes this site possible.  You do more good than
you'll ever know!