[IP] can you intentionally kick off diabetes?

A friend of mine was telling me that she is due to get diabetes(failing
pancreas, already hypoglycemic, and family history back to Adam and Eve LOL)
and her doctor is trying to kick it off  by having her do some things(she is
calling me back later to  tell me what they are--her doorbell rang)
Is this even POSSIBLE?  Or if it is, is it ADVISABLE?  I am concerned she is
hooked up with a quack and sorta wanted to research it before she called me
back, but where to even begin?  Can't really type in "giving yourself
diabetes" on the internet, can I?
Charisma :)