[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #14

Well...I knew there'd come a time when I needed to write for advice...my nine
year old daugher (diagnosed @ 5yrs...pumping 5 months) went hysterical two
nights ago and began yelling she was tired of having diabetes, it wasn't fair
and she hated the pump because she couldn't wear her slinky dresses, and that
it flopped around too much and she wanted to go back to shots! We talked it
out, called her endo at home, chatted (he hoped she would stick with it...),
hung up, she then had another fit, called endo back, and finally officially
went off the pump.  We are now on day two of the crude shot method of
maintaining her diabetes. It's going o.k. and she says she will eventually go
back to the pump..."just a few more days." I know that by having the pump,
there are a lot more details she has to be responsible for...how much of a
bolus for that cookie at her friends house...but it seemed as if she really
liked the freedom... Is this too much responsibility for her (yes---I am
forever helping her with learning all? I am realizing that I do do most of
the "work" when she's on shots----(she had never gotten to the point of
filling a syringe), though she does use her BD pen for "extra" snacks, etc...
Is this just an exercise of control and choice? I would appreciate any
comments or similar stories. Thanks!