Re: [[IP] Inserting sils]

Linda Culumovic <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Hi - I've been reading some posts about inserting sils - we inserted one
> for the first time in Adam (4) a few days ago in the tummy, he put up a bit
> of a fight, nothing major, and afterwards said it was ok. We changed sites
> tonite, and when my husband put the SIL in, it went in a little bit, then
> he said it met a lot of resistance.  Adam freaked, was screaming and
> crying, said it hurt. So we tried two more times and moved it a bit, but
> could not get it in. We tried ice to numb.  Next time we will try EMLA, but
> we do the micros with no EMLA - although he has gotten used to it!
>
> Any ideas on if we were doing something wrong???

I'm speculating, since it's a bit hard to see particulars from here <grin>,
but might you have been aiming at too steep an angle and running it into the
muscle below the fat layer?  Youngsters are a bit too likely to suffer from
this because of thier size. You might want to try a shallower angle, probably
about 10 to 15 degrees rather than 30 to 45 suggested in the instructions.

Only other possibility that comes immediately to mind is if you are hitting
scar tissue from earlier shots or infusion sites.

Ted Quick
email @ redacted