[IP] Advice needed from some of our medical professionals (long)

Yesterday we had our IEP at school for our son Anthony who is 11, and has
been pumping for about a month now.  Our school district hadn't been
meeting our needs in the last year and a half, and were now giving us fits
about the pump.  With some advise from legal advocates we determined that
the school district had violated his civil rights.  We pushed for this
meeting to finally get everything settled once and for all.

The day before yesterday I got paged in my classroom (I maintain the
computer lab at his school), to tell me that Anthony was in the office and
that he was low.  I had been tied up with a student who had a crashed
computer, so it took me about 4 minutes until I was able to go to the
office.  You have to understand that we do have a hypoglycemic protocol in
place, and that either the school nurse (on the days she's there), office
personnel and the principal are all trained in this protocol, so they do
not have to wait for me to do it.

I arrived at the nurses office only to find Anthony just sitting there.  He
had taken his blood test and was at 55.  I asked him if he had either taken
glucose tabs or had any juice and he said no.  I reacted quickly to make
sure he was treated, sent for his lunch and made him sit and eat it in the
office.  The doctor the school district had assigned to research the pump
had been brainstorming with the school nurse in the office preparing for
our meeting the next day.  She started asking me questions about Anthony
and his diabetes.  This is the same doctor I had been told wanted to assign
a full time aid to follow Anthony everywhere next year in middle
school....her way of solving their "problem" of Anthony and his
pump.  Later that day when Anthony arrived home from school, I asked him
about what had happened before I got to the office, and why he hadn't taken
anything for his low.  He told me the doctor asked him what he wanted to
do.  I responded "What do you mean what do YOU want to do?!  You've never
had a choice in this matter in school....there is a formal protocol that
has to be followed."

Needless to say I brought this matter up at our IEP meeting yesterday...by
this time I was fuming!  We had a representation at the meeting of our two
CDE's from Kaiser, another school nurse (who's also diabetic and on the
pump, and will probably be his school nurse next year) who was acting as
Anthony's personal advocate, our principal, the nursing coordinator and her
coordinator, Anthony's DIS coordinator, our school nurse and the district
doctor.  The doctor explained that she was testing Anthony and me and to
see what we would do about him being low at school.  Well let me tell you,
every nurse in the room tore into both of them, even accusing them of
malpractice.  They literally put Anthony's life on the line in order to
build their case against us.

Now onto our successes.....Anthony will be able to test anywhere on
campus...including the classroom whenever he feels low.  There will be
appropriate nursing personnel on campus whenever myself or the school nurse
isn't on campus.  Anthony will now have access to his emergency insulin
supply for any natural disasters that might occur (earthquake, etc).  We
will be meeting in June to set up what's necessary for middle school next
year, including inviting the new principal to the meeting.  Lots more
issues to settle then, but related to middle school and not elementary school.

What advise I need for those of you who are professionals (nurses, doctors,
etc) in the medical field, who do I contact to file a formal complaint
against the doctor and school nurse?  We are part of Los Angeles Unified
School District, and I'm just afraid if I let them handle the whole matter,
it will just get buried.  I'm not interested in a law suit, or want money
out of this.  I just want to make sure they never do this kind of thing to
one of our children ever again.

Sue in Torrance CA
mother of Anthony, 11, dx. 9-22-95...MM 508 since 2-17-2000