[IP] Clarification on cholesterol

Just wanted to clarify what is considered appropriate cholesterol numbers
for those of us with diabetes.  The ADA Clinical Recommendations have
recently changed on these.  Because of the higher risk (2-4X) of developing
heart disease in those of us with diabetes, our cholesterol/lipid management
should be just as aggressive as what is done with people who already DO have
heart disease!  The ADA/NCEP (National Cholesterol Education Program) goals
for both people with known coronary artery disease, and for people with
diabetes are:

Total Cholesterol = less than 150.
Triglycerides = less than 200
LDL ("bad") cholesterol = less than 100!
HDL ("good") cholesterol = greater than 45 in men and 55 in women.

To reach these goals both behavioral modifications (diet, exercise, quitting
smoking, moderate alcohol consumption) and pharmacological therapy may be
prescribed.  We need to be just as assertive with heart disease prevention
as we are with our blood sugars.  KNOW YOUR NUMBERS!  TALK TO YOUR
PHYSICIAN!  I can't tell you how many times, in my position, I have heard
people now facing a heart disease diagnosis say to me - my cholesterol
numbers were elevated for YEARS, but they were "just watching it".  We
certainly wouldn't take the same attitude with blood sugars today - don't be
this way about cholesterol.  Empower yourself!

Always in health,
Delaine M. Wright, MS, CDE