[IP] At Last glucose monitor

Hi All,

I haven't read every single email from this list recently -- I kind of put
you guys on hold until I get closer to getting a pump -- so I'm not sure if
this has been talked about but I got this article today and wondered if
anyone else had heard about it.  It's not the watch or the laser beam
monitor.  I went to the website to get more info.  I don't know but using my
arm for a blood sample creeps me out!

At Last: Relief For Six Million Americans

After 20 Years, Diabetics Can Stop Stabbing Their Fingertips

 SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif., March 16 /PRNewswire/ -- While springtime usually
spells a respite from flu and colds, this spring offers six million diabetics
an end, once-and-for-all, to pain they inflict on themselves every day --
lancing their sensitive fingertips to test their blood sugar.

Many of them prick their fingers four times a day.  That means, for example,
a first grader with diabetes would endure more than 17,000 fingertip
stabbings before high school graduation.  Until now.

A new blood glucose monitoring system -- the first to eliminate these painful
"fingersticks" -- is now available nationwide.  Called "AtLast(TM)," it
creates a small break in the skin of the arm or thigh - areas far less
sensitive than fingertips because they have significantly fewer nerve
endings. A press-and-release of the device against the skin draws blood to
the surface, where the system collects and reads it.

Self-monitoring of blood glucose levels has been considered the cornerstone
of diabetes care for more than 20 years, enabling patients to adjust diet,
exercise and insulin to achieve optimum blood glucose control. Yet a
significant portion of those who should test at least four times daily do
not, because of the pain involved.

All currently available testing systems require fingersticks.  A diabetic
must prick a finger with a special needle or lancet, then often "milk" it to
obtain enough blood for the test, place the blood on a test strip, and
measure the glucose level with a meter.

"While other companies have made only minor modifications to fingerstick
meters, we have created a system that eliminates the pain involved in the old
approach to fingerstick testing," said Karen Drexler, president and
co-founder of Amira Medical, developer of AtLast.  "In addition to
eliminating the pain of fingersticks, our new system draws a small blood
sample to the test strip through a micro capillary tube, giving accurate
results in as little as 15 seconds."

As a result of a landmark 1993 study, the National Institutes of Health
recommends Type 1 (formerly "juvenile") diabetics test blood levels four to
six times a day.  Yet the actual incidence averages scarcely more than once a
day (39.1 times per month).  Type 1 diabetes means the body is unable to
produce an adequate amount of insulin.  It usually strikes young people, all
of whom must inject insulin for the rest of their lives to survive.

Type 2 (formerly "adult-onset") diabetes usually develops in older people,
most often when the pancreas continues to produce insulin, but cellular
resistance to insulin means more is needed than can be naturally produced.
While many Type 2 diabetics can control their disease with diet and exercise,
with or without oral medications, more severe cases self-inject insulin --
which requires frequent blood glucose monitoring.

The new AtLast system is available from Amira Medical at www.amiramed.com or
by calling toll-free 877-264-7263.  The AtLast System Starter Kit, which
includes everything needed to start testing, costs about $63.

SOURCE  Almira Medical