[IP] eating disorders

In a message dated 03/15/2000 11:08:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< So, how are girls with weight issues handling this temptation to run high,
 but stay thin? >>

When food was becoming a big issue at our house (and it concerned me), I
talked to the nutritionist.  She said there was a huge problem with this
going on.  And that you had to be very careful about this during the
adolescent years.  Girls (and boys, I would suppose) controlling their weight
by not taking the appropriate insulin to cover the carbs and running high so
that the sugar would spill over into their urine.  Allie is 11 now, and
though food was such an issue before the pump, it in fact doesn't seem to be
an issue at all now!  For us or her, it was all a control thing (not really
about food at all).  She wanted what she couldn't have.  Now that she can
have it, it doesn't seem to matter! I don't have any documentation on this,
but she (the nutritionist) said she had several pieces of documentation.

Susan (mom to Allie 11, dx'd 8/98 and pumping 12/99)