Re: [IP] inconvience?????

email @ redacted wrote:
> Susan wrote:
> >  According to my attorney, we can only do classroom testing
> > IF the endo writes  an order for it.  He won't do that - doesn't
> > want to inconvience the school!
> WHAT!!!  I have never heard a more ridiculous statement.  Starting place in
> MY opinion is get a new endo...secondly ask the doctor and the school if it
> would be MORE convenient to have the EMTs come take your child off in an
> ambulance when he or she passes out in gym class from a hypo.

That sounds like a good argument for your 504 plan meeting. PLUS you
cite the case of the little girl in Connecticut, where a court ruled she
had the right to test in class. PLUS you cite the fact that having to go
to the nurse to test takes too much educational time out of the school
day. PLUS you cite the fact that OSHA has ruled that blood testing does
not involve a biohazard risk.

You DO have a 504 plan, don't you??? Or has your school swept you under
the carpet?

Children who have disabilities but aren't classified as special ed. (a
label increasingly reserved for those whose disabilities severely affect
their learning)(well- controlled diabetes doesn't!!) have the right to a
504 plan which lists exactly what accommodations they need in order to
function in the regular classroom.  You have some VERY good arguments
for letting your child test in the classroom because the goal is minimum
impact on his/her education.

This is one you CAN fight -- there is enough precedent elsewhere.

Good luck from a TEACHER who tests in the classroom -- what would the
class (or more importantly, the administration!) do if *I* had to go
elsewhere to test???
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted