Re: [IP] class testing -Kap's mom

Hi pumpers,
  Well, I certainly don't have all the solutions.  I can empathize with your
problems with Kap's lows and uninformed school personnel.  Being low is one
of the most uncomfortable and as far as I think, unpredictable experiences.
As for myself, my symptoms of lows constantly changed.  Sometimes I was
shaky, sometimes I had headaches, sometimes I was really hungry, sometimes I
was dizzy, sometimes I didn't feel anything but kind of out of it.
Actually, lows are still like these in some respects.
   So about Kap and other kids testing in classrooms...  By about the age of
10-11, I was sure to inform teachers and new people in my life about my
Diabetes.  Until then, my mom had written an extensive letter to each
teacher and given it to my new teacher prior to school each fall.  In
response to you teachers who wrote about needing to know before school
started- I sort of felt as I got older like it was important for me to go
the first couple days without explaining things so as not to be pre-judged.
So anyway, I explained things to teachers and personnel, if there was a
problem, they could check with administration and my parents.
    Back to teh subject of feeling low, identifying lows, and treating them.
  I have to say- I usually did not check my BG when I was low in school.
Perhaps that comes from an earlier generation of Diabetics, pre-pump?  Once
I realized I was low, I ATE!  It's strange to hear you all write about- "if
50-59 take 2 tablets, if 60-69, take 1 tablet" etc. etc.  I can't imagine
treating lows so litely!  If my BG is 60, I eat A LOT MORE than a tablet!
and I did when I was younger too.  I also can't imagine being such a young
kid and feeling OK with a BG of 80, though.  Anyway, it seems like such a
delay when you feel low to test AND THEN eat... and dangerous.  Seizures
were so scary and I suffered such bad ones at age 6 and 7.  Boy, the wonders
of the pump, huh?  Good luck to you parents and young kids!

ps. as a Diabetic kid, I had the WORST!! time dealing with SUBSTITUTE
TEACHERS!!!  It seems like they never understood Diabetes and my needs to
eat once in awhile.  Sometimes, it would end up with the class trying to
explain Insulin and Diaabetes and bloodtests and low bloodsugars to those
damn substitutes.  Eventually, a couple times it even took a kid going to
the Principal's office to get the Principal to come and tell the Substitute
what's up.  I smile now as i think back to my supportive little friends in
fifth grade. :)