[IP] RE:(IP) cortisone shots

Re: the message below:
This can be a YMMV situation. How your BG responds to oral prednisone, may be
different than how one responds to an injection. Predisone has its own peak
effect depending on the time of day it is taken and if it is an injection
versus by mouth. A one time injection into a joint can have a different
effect...peak ands and then gradually leaves the system, depending on where
it was injected and how the body absorbs it into the blood stream. Prednisone
by mouth will have a daily peak action, usually rising before noon if taklen
at breakfast, peaking in the afternoon and early evening and wearing off over
night. Frequent BG testing can help identify a pattern of the peak actions
and basals can be increased to off set the insulin resistence caused by the
Prednisone. The point about watching (aka, limiting) the carb intake is a
good one.
This has been my experience with renal transplant patients on pump and with
both types of DM. We had great success with basal increases. YMMV, of course.

Barbara B.