[IP] Growth Hormone

> Well I got Jessica's Bone age and growth hormone results yesterday.  The
> bone age test says she is 6 years and 10 months old when she is actually 8
> years and 2 months old.  Her growth hormone is low.  They want to recheck
> in May and then we will decide what to do.  Jessica is extremely upset and
> so am I.  When is enough enough?
> Nita, after another sleepless night
> Mom of Jessica, age 8, diagnosed @ 9 months, pumping 1.7 years & Jarred, 9

First, was it necessary for the doctor to reveal the results to Jessica?
It's enough for an adult to handle without burdening a child. I was told
that with kids our bodies did not/do not work right with DM and this affects
everything. Not everyone, either, ends up at the same size. I know a male
(non-DM) who was the shortest in his class and complained to the dr.
Doctor said, "Wait until you are 14."  The kid said, "I AM 14!"  He ended up
at 6'+.  There are growth hormone treatments that can be utilized.

Do you (all) remember Dana Hill the actress who had DM? She had thyroid
also and that stunted her growth; and she had a raspy voice. I'm talking
around 20 years ago. She died I think at about 19 of kidney failure.  It
doesn't sound like it, but I'm trying to give you hope. Don't despair.
Jessica was awfully young for DM dx - moreso than MOST of us. The new
developments and treatments should be able to help.  Judge Judy didn't get
to grow to the height she desired, either. Not everyone does. Best wishes.
I hope she can concentrate on her studies at school and not be bothered with
things that should concern the adults and not her at this very, very tender
age. As a mom you can think of creative ways to skirt the issue or make a
positive out of it. Be careful to not convey disappointment. She may well
take it as your being disappointed in HER. We never know how a child's mind
perceives a matter.

Tell the doctor to give only YOU the results of tests out of her presence.
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)