Re: [IP] Cortisone shots and wild BGs--ARGH!

In a message dated 3/15/00 11:36:42 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Anyone who has had to have cortisone shots (for tendinitis in my left elbow
 and shoulder) who has any suggestions for the wild BG ride?

Hi Jenny

Boy, have fun on the ride! :-\  I got a cortisone shot about three weeks ago
and, within seven hours, was over 300 with moderate ketones. That was with
upping my insulin. I ended up nearly doubling my basals and adding about 40
percent to my boluses and still hardly got under 200.

Watch it, though -- steroids have a fast, sharp, effect. About 48-72 hours.
So keep a good eye on it so you don't go low. After the second day, I would
just program a temporary basal increase for about four hours, test again a
couple of hours after it ended, and go from there.

I felt like something the cat threw up, however. How are you doing?

Jan