Re: [IP] Persantine Thallium test

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:11:45 EST
>From: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IP] Persantine Thallium test
>In a message dated 3/9/00 1:08:55 PM, email @ redacted writes:
>>I have to have a Persantine Thallium done. I was wondering if anyone
>>has had it done.  I need to know if I can keep the insulin pump on.
>I had a Thallium stress test done prepump -- it does involve xrays, so the
>pump would have to be removed for that portion of it.  (with the exercise
>stress test, the xrays were done more than once).  I can't see how having
>persantine IV drip would affect the pump.  You will have ecg electrodes
>attached - don't think that would affect the pump, but could the pump
>them?  Maybe you could just disconnect and take a bolus every hour to equal
>that hour's basal, at least if you are using a plastic infusion set like
>sils/tenders or sofset.

I am very behind with reading the mails from the list, so hope this reply is
not too late for whoever posed the original question.
I work as a Medical Physicist in Nuclear Medicine, so have acquaintance with
Thallium stress tests from the other side of the bench.  It does not involve
The object of the test is to obtain images of your heart muscle under
stress - the stress is either provided by having the patient exercise (for
example on a treadmill), or by what is called pharmacological stress using
drugs such as persantine.
Radioactive thallium is then injected intravenously, and the patient lies
under a scanner which collects the images of where in the heart muscle the
thallium has reached.
The test should not be traumatic (though you may well feel the
pharmacologically induced stress), and I can't see any reason why you should
need to disconnect the pump (but check with the pump manufacturer - if they
didnt know what a thallium scan is, they should at least be willing to find
out - given the association between DM and heart disease, this must be a
test commonly done on diabetics, and with more pump users, they will be
asked more often).  Taking it from the other end, I have written to the
manufacturers of the scanners we use to ask them if they see any way they
could affect insulin pumps, but so far got no response - seeing the
questions about this which appear on this list occasionally, I will try to
pursue the matter further.  From what I know about scanner design, I had no
hesitation about lying in a scanner as a normal volunteer on one occasion a
few months ago, and no adverse effects after the experience.

Hope this is helpful.

Do You Yahoo!?