Re: [IP] Alpha Lipoic Acid

Hi:

I answered a similar question in the misc.health.diabetes last fall. I've
copied it here (and verified the various links...)

-  http://mcb.berkeley.edu/faculty/CDB/packerl.html
            Dr. Lester Packer is an active antioxidant researcher at UC
Berkeley and runs the Packer Labs
(http://packer.berkeley.edu/) at Berkeley. He is also associated with the
next site which sells an                     antioxidant vitamin
formulation.
- http://www.networkantioxidants.com/
            Sells a somewhat expensive antioxidant vitamin formulation.
- http://www.lipoic.com/
            Information appears good but site's credentials could be
questioned since its written by a non-medical person
- http://www.diabetesnet.com/complslides.html
            A set of slides about antioxidants and diabetes complications
- http://www.nsd.uib.no/yngve/helse/neuropat.shtml
            "A MULTIDISCIPLINARY APPROACH TO DIABETIC NEUROPATHY TREATMENT"
- http://www.alphabetic.com/
            Another antioxidant vitamin formulation with alphalipoic acid.

Also note that Packer wrote a general audience book on Alpha Lipoic Acid
called "The Antioxidant Miracle" (see Amazon at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471297682/o/qid=938612649/sr=2-1/002
-7405466-9268222).

Despite its "cure all" title, Packer's book actually well written and
informative with lots of references to scientific papers and how various
antioxidants complement each other. Despite believing in alpha lipoic acid,
Packer still counsels lots of fruits and veggies!

You can also search various medical research databases (Medline, JAMA, etc)
for references. For unbiased information, be careful of any sites which may
be trying to sell you something... I also recommend talking with your
endocrinologist on the subject of antioxidants. Basically, my doctor did not
specifically recommend them because of the lack of definitive research but
did not advise against them either.

BTW, I am a T1 diabetic for 39 years, and on pump therapy for the last four
and a half. I personally take the Network Antioxidants vitamins but I'm
aware that it may be just an expensive placebo...