[IP] Alpha Lipoic Acid

> > Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:37:21 EST
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Alpha Lipoic Acid
>Is anyone out there familiar with Alpha Lipoic Acid? My Mom said she read
>a magazine of how 100 mg of this compound taken twice a day can benefit
>diabetics but she couldn't remember the name of the magazine or how a
>diabetic benefited. An Internet search didn't turn up much. TIA!

>Linda V.

My endo started me on Alpha Lipoic Acid 200mg 4X a day three weeks ago.  I
had such severe pain in my feet I couldn't sleep at night.  He suggested I
give it a try (as did my podiatrist) and the improvement has been dramatic,
almost too dramatic to attribute  solely to the Alpha Lipoic Acid.
(According to the studies I have read, it usually takes one to two months to
see an improvement.)  I am sending you one of the articles I read via
private e-mail. This stuff has been used in Germany for diabetic neuropathy
for many years, but only now did my endo give me the go-ahead to use it.
It's expensive and I find it irritates my stomach a bit, but I will stay on
it for another few weeks and see what happens.  What have I got to lose?
I believe that Diabetes Interview did an article on Alpha lipoic acid a
while back.

Denise Guerin
Type 1 45 years