[IP] Diabetes and Celiac Disease

Deborah wrote:
> Eve went to the dr. in Feb. and had some tests run on her blood and urine.
> One part (there are three parts) of a test for celiac disease came back
> positive. Just before the nurse took her blood, Eve's bg was 54.
> Could a low cause a positive result on a test?

No. The test for celiac disease involves antibodies. She must have shown
positive antibodies.

Not off topic -- celiac disease is more common in Type 1 diabetics than
in the general population -- it's part of that auto-immune constellation
of diseases, including hypothyroidism, Addison's disease, pernicious
anemia, vitiligo and others.
> I have search the archives about diabetes and celiac disease. I know this is
> a diabetes site. I found very little, but I know it was discussed a while
> back. I also searched the
> internet about celiac disease, but could not find what the blood tests she
> had done meant. Eve's dr said not to worry that they will keep watching her
> annually for any change or until she develops symptoms.

Celiac disease is a malabsorption syndrome because the gluten in wheat
and other related grains triggers the degeneration of the villi of the
small intestine and prevents nutrients from being absorbed.

The good news is that if gluten is scrupulously avoided, the villi grow
back -- so the malabsorption problem is reversible. People with celiac
disease can live an absolutely normal and comfortable life as long as
they avoid wheat and other gluten-containing products. (I know, avoiding
wheat makes the lifestyle non-normal!)

Symptoms are weight loss, nausea, cramps, diarrhea, malaise, weakness,

The disease can be definitively diagnosed with an intestinal biopsy.

Maybe the doc doesn't want to do anything at the moment because Eve's
not showing any symptoms. I don't know if having the antibodies means it
will definitely progress to full-blown celiac disease, but now would be
a good time to study up on gluten-free cooking -- better to know and not
need it, than to be thrown willy-nilly into it without any preparation!
> Now, when someone tell not to worry about a positive test, I do! I need some
> A worried mom

Well, the good news is that this is not going to shorten Eve's life or
cripple her -- it IS going to be another learning odyssey, just like
Type 1 diabetes has been.

Hang in there, kiddo!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted