[IP] Treating NPH lows as opposed to Humalog lows

This ol' lady has learned a lot from this list. There is something I've been
curious about for awhile and think I can now put it into words:
    I read often of parents treating their DM children's lows with xx# grams
of carbs
AND peanut butter crackers/sandwiches or string cheese, etc.
    IF the basals are set correctly (which it sounds as though they
diligently are), then why the added protein? That was what we did with NPH
because of its lingering effect, BUT with Humalog in and out more quickly
and the basal maintaining steadiness, why wouldn't the carbs be sufficient
to bring the BG up to the correct level
without the added snack stuff? Wouldn't that extra snack cause a spike
    Clueless Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)