Re: [IP] 20 years and still kicking!

Jeanie wrote:

<<Well, here it is, March 11, 2000, my 20-year anniversary with D.  When I
diagnosed at age 19 my mom asked the Dr how long until I would be well.  No
one in my family knew a thing about diabetes.  His response was, "NEVER,
she has a long time left, probably about 20 years."  I was newly married six
weeks before and was devestated.  The Dr then went on to tell me to get
pregnant soon if I wanted children because I wouldn't get to much past 40.
Quite a quack, huh?  He was president of the ADA for the state I was in.>>

Wow!  I must be one lucky person.  I've NEVER had a Dr. who passed a death
sentence on to me because of having D.  All my Dr's, even from the first
one, told me I could have every bit a "normal" life as anyone else,
providing I followed my scheduled and did what I was supposed to do.  Now, I
was 11 when dx'd nearly 37 years ago, and there were times in those teenage
years when I didn't really want to do all that extra stuff, but I generally
was a good "rule follower" (still am) and managed to do well.  After all
this time, I have no complications and planned to live to 84.  Now that I
have my pump coming (providing the insurance pays the bill), I've now set my
sights on 100!  I think a positive attitude has a lot to do with it too.
And, sometimes just plain luck.  Good luck and best wishes to all the
long-timers (and the short-timers too).  Long healthy lives to everyone!

Type 1 for nearly 37 years, pump arrives on Thursday!