[IP] Other reasons about camp

First I would like to say I entirely agreed with Sara's post.   About this
time 4 years ago I was telling many people the reasons that I was going to
work at a nonD summer camp instead of the D summer camp.  (I had been
offered positions at both, didn't really apply to the D one because I
didn't want to work there, but I just knew some people involved with the

1.  I had attended the non-D camp as a child.  As had my brother and my mom
and her brothers.
2.  I did not want D to be a focus of my summer.  Yes, you do other things,
but you do have periods learning about diabetes.  Which I do do, and need
to do, it isn't how I want to spend my summer.
3.  I really love the non-D camp.

In subsequent years, I was once again asked why I choose the non-D camp
over the D camp.  The biggest reason for me staying at it was the
relationship I had developed with other staff members (many of whom are my
closest friends) and campers.  Another really large reason for me was
'education' for lack of a better way of putting it.  The staff knew me and
what I had to do quite well.  And especially by the end quite a few staff
members would ask me what I really thought, and I know I changed some views
because of it.  Then there would be the kids.  I am very open about my
diabetes.  When we would have overnighters, to check my bg and  to draw up
my insulin (have to cover those s'mores!) with the best light was in the
fire ring, which was in the center of all of the girls.  I always checked
my bg as I was waiting for grace (you rotate tables, so you see different
kids everyday).  By the end of a week, particularly if I had a cabin, "my
girls" would have a fairly decent knowledge.  They would know what my
target bg were.  They would know that I needed more insulin if I was high
or if I ate a lot.  They knew I needed to eat something sugary if I was
low.  LOL, last summer I had a girl who didn't want to eat camp food
because it was "gross" (it really isn't bad).  I realized this after the
first night and would tell the table leader to make sure she ate something
and if she didn't to come find me.  Appearent one person didn't listen, and
the person the next morning didn't listen as well.  When swimming lessons
came along, she felt like she was going to pass out (no kidding).  Swimming
lessons is my period off and I had to fax my bg to my doctor, so I wasn't
in Camp that day.  She went to the nurse.  Who asked the normal questions
and discovered the "no food" thing as well as she only drank the water that
I forced upon her.  She told her she was probably hypoglycemica and
dehydrated and needed to eat and drink something, and keep eating/drinking
the rest of the week!  The little girl knew that I sometimes was
hypoglycemic because of my diabetes, so she must have diabetes.  I come
walking into camp and my whole cabin makes a sprint towards me "Maureen!
Maureen! The nurse says **** has diabetes!"  I instantly realized what
happened (seeing that she was standing there drinking a Pepsi), and her
story confirmed it.  After a LONG lesson about diabetes and nutrition, all
of my girls had a better idea (and I went and checked on her every meal to
make sure she ate).  LOL, the nurse appologized profusely to me for doing
that, she said that she says it to most kids because it sounds so offical
that they listen, but she knows I always talk to my girls so she doesn't
say it to them or explains it in more detail.  But I am usually so good
about making sure all of my girls eat/drink enough, she didn't realize she
was in my cabin.  While I might learn things at a D camp, and I might help
teach others things, it would not be in the same way.  I think D camps are
great!  If you love them, great!  I know I have my loyalty to my camp, I'm
definately not going to take that right away from anyone else.  They have
their place and are needed, but do not rule out other camps if that is what
your child wants.  I know we (the camp staff) learn a lot about anything a
camper needs from us.  We had campers with PKU (can't have ANY protien),
and we learned real fast what they can and can not eat.  We learn lots
about allergies (there are some odd ones out there).  A little about
self-cathing (although the child is usually independent in that or the
nurse does it).  Almost every week I was carrying a couple of inhalers and
an epi pen.  We truely do love your kids and do our best to take care of
them.  Working at a camp is not the best pay (to put it mildly), we are
there because we want to be and we love it.