Subject: Jessica the Condo Assoc.and her puppy.
Date: 3/9/00 4:16 PM EST
From: <A HREF="aol://3548:ZGabor">ZGabor</A>@AOL.COM

Jessica  our daughter came into our lifes when she was two days old and at
age three and a half diagnosd with diabetes it  was a shock for us, dealing
with this sitution was extremely difficult(we are no young parent and Jessica
is the only child et home) her doctors came up with the idea to buy her a
puppy that it would do wonders for her
(Dr.Nemery called it a therapeutical pet in her letter to the condo) to deal
and COPE with the situation and it really did.
We were threatened by the Condo Assoc.to be sued in that endeavor we were
backed up by the Committee for Human Relations"State of Florida".
The above committee after investigation concluded that it is a clear case of
discrimination against handicapped child.The case was presented by the
committee to a Administrative Judge an we have spent the last 4 years in
court whit this stuggle,finally the administrative judge that presided in
this case disregardeed 5 doctors recommendations
(Dr Nemery,Dr.Serrat,Dr.Rub,Dr.Delemeator and Dr. Rappaport) it became a
legal exercise and ruled against us, and worst is she said "The evidence
presented by  the commission is insufficient to establish that Jessica is
handicapped because there is no evidence that she is substantially limited to
any mayor life activity as result of her impairment" The commission failed to
presen evidence says the judge to establish any restrictions on Jessica's
activities as a result of her diabetes. The judge olso said that her
condition is corrected by medication(insulin and we know that this is barely
a life suport) and once corrected does not present any impairment that
substantially limits a major life activity.
This means that an educatad person such as this judge does not understand the
real drama of diabetes,the terrible and substantial limitations it poses in
every day life.Such that we know all you understand.

The limitations and problems diabetes causes,and the tragedy of all this is
that these children look so healthy, that just by controling and injecting
insulin they can live "Normal Lives"according to the judge's opinion which of
course you know is horrendous an scary
(just think about the the allocation of funds for cure research).

We are goig to appeal this decision at the recommendation of the committee of
human relations.we know we have an uphill and costly battle but they just
don't get it.
MY question if somebody have an opinion,if can get some moral support from
the diabetes community in this case if is a subject to be discussed.

For Jessica this puppy was and is a life support to cope,she sleeps with it
every night for the last 4 yers and it has really made wonders for her,and we
 like the treating doctors consider it a tragedy if the puppy will have to
seseperate from her.
WE would appreciate your opinion.

MOM  and DAD of Jessica