Subject: [IP] Re: Slow Doctors

I know both sides of this question only too well.  I just got home from my
office on my day off trying to catch up with some of the incredible volume
of paperwork stacked on my desk - while I made progress, I didn't get to the
bottom.  Unfortunately, someone's request for a letter is always on the
bottom of the stack......

I love it when a patient brings me something that just needs signed, it is
so much easier than doing the letter.  Since both MM and D have pretty
standard lists of what info they need, try writing your own letter, and
seeing if the doctor will just sign it.  It may get attention a whole lot
faster.  Then again, if your doctor's a control freak, this suggestion may
cause extreme irritation....

In general, the letter needs to include your diagnosis (Type 1 or 2 diabetes
and date), current therapy (probably 3 or more injections of insulin per
day), the difficulties that you encounter with this, like frequent
hypoglycemias, hypoglycemia unawareness, extreme range of blood sugars
(doesn't everyone have this?), last A-1-C, any complications that you may
have that would be improved if your control was better, and that you are
willing and able to undergo the education necessary to safely operate the
pump.  Be sure to make it in third person (like the doctor wrote it) and use
medical words whenever you can.  Exaggerate just a little, but be sure that
anything you say can be backed up by medical records.

I'll admit that I wrote my daughter's letter for the pump, since the endo
was being way slower than I wanted (it was a week!), had one of my family
practice partners sign it (hey, an MD is an MD is an MD according to the
insurance co's), and it went right through.

Nancy Morgan