Re: [IP] Ultralente questions

Hi Charisma,

Theoretically, the UL should give a small (i.e., no big spikes in
strength), steady boost to Paddy's BGs, basically doing the job the pump's
basal levels would do. I say "theoretically," because, as with most things
diabetic, it varies from person to person, so keep that in mind.

I was on UL for about 9 months. I found great in some ways, but frustrating
in others. It would take 2-3 days for a change in dosage to take effect,
which seemed really sloooooow. Since this is the first day, you don't have
any previous data to work from and you'll be, uhm, pardon the pun, shooting
in the dark. If the UL dosage is correct, Paddy should just sail through
the play date. If it's not, he could go low or high. Because you're just
starting, I would simply try and test and adjust with H as necessary. I'm
sure testing is not popular with Paddy, but, for myself, I test like crazy
on a new regimen, then I have plenty of info on which to base any changes.

I just don't think there's any way to know how his BGs will be today.
You're going to have to play it by ear.

Good luck!

(Type I, 27 years, D. pumper since 10/95)