RE: [IP] Type 1 or 2? help

Denise,

>From personal experience, yes type IIs can have BG that high.  I am
technically a type II.  I was diagnosed with BG around 600.  Sometimes I
will get BG in the 300+ range.  Not too often, but it happens!  Feel free to
email me privately if you have any other questions.

BTW, I insist on seeing an Endo for my DM management, although it was a
fight and I have been through several Primary Care Physicians (family Dr.)
because they all thought they were qualified to handle my Diabetes.  My
opinion is that GPs know some about lots of conditions, I wanted an expert
in my condition.  I would also guess he has lost so much weight because of
high BG.  It's easy to say "I'm dieting ... that's how I am losing weight",
but the reality is that it is probably the high BG that is doing it.

Just my 2 cents.

Ellen Compell (31) - Type II (insulin only)
MiniMed 507C since 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: denise poole [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 11:18 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Type 1 or 2? help

I sure hope someone can help me with this. A family friend, age 37, was told
he was type 2 several years ago. He had taken small doses of insulin off and
on for awhile. Well today after watching him eat 3 cupcakes and a regular
soda, after about 30 minutes I insisted on testing his BS. It was already up
to 360. He then told me that when he was first diagnosed, his BS was over
1000! He has lost probably 75 lbs over the last several years.
I have always thought that he was probably type 1. So, is it possible for
him
to be a type 2 and have these extremely high BS's? His Dad has DM also,  not
for sure which type, but at the present he is in kidney failure, has a
catheter in him for it also. I would hate to see him keep walking around
with
these BS. He said he has an appt this week with his family Dr. I told him he
should ask to see an Endo or Internist. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks for any answers, Denise