Part of a previous post:
> I bet you don't worry
> half as much as we do about future complications...and why?
> Because if it happens to you, you have only one person to
> blame, yourself.  If it happens to my child,
> I can only blame me as a caregiver for not having done enough.

Complications still come down to *the luck of the gene pool.*  I cite the
identical twins on another list. One did everything wrong and had NO
complications. The other one followed the rules and had all the
complications. Go figure. I believe parents who *obsess* are setting
themselves up to join a new support group later on: GRASP - Guilt-Ridden And
Suffering Parents. No one wants to be molly-coddled, smothered, nor
controlled. At some point the child(ren) will have to be given
self-responsibility and the parents will have to just sit back knowing
they did their best while they had the chance. Look at all the mother-in-law
jokes. *Those* m-i-l's have a precious child they cannot give up, too. And,
remember, hindsight is always 20/20.

The DM child may very well rebel when on his/her own. That 18th birthday can
often (not all) mean *freedom* to a teen. I know one who is incarcerated
right now - got into drugs and all sorts of stuff. He, too, is/was (grown)
someone's precious child. Parents, don't be so hard on yourself - YOU did
not choose your child's gene pool. The guilt you may place on your future
years will not help your offspring then. You could go crazy GRASPing.

Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)