[IP] (no subject)

Daniel wrote...
<<one trick that has worked well for me is to test
> about an hour or 2 hours after eating. if my sugar is high than
> I take a little adjustment >>

and Sara said...
<<These two statements are kinda contradictory IMHO.  If you test your blood
sugar an hour after a meal, you are almost CERTAINLY going to be a little
higher than your target.  If you were to take a corrective bolus at this
point, then I'd bet you cash money that you WILL crash later!  Even Humalog
doesnt reach peak efficiency in an hour.  IF you ARE in your target an hour
after eating, then most likely you will be crashing in another hour.  In
fact, for MANY (not all), even 2 hours is not enough.  If i test 2 hours out
and am a little high, I cannot correct, because if I do, I will crash in
another 1/2 hour. If I wait to test after eating til 2 1/2 to almost 3 hours
then I am fine. >>

To help avoid some confusion here...ask your diabetes team for before and
after meal BG targets, before bedtime and before exercise targets. They could
be different for each individual, but usually you will find some common safe
ranges. It all depends on how your body responds and what your individual
needs for safe control may be.

Barbara B.