[IP] Re: steak for dinner

I was just reading the other day (in MiniMed's Insulin Pump
Therapy book) about high protein foods causing highs hours later.
The reasoning was that part of the protein turned to glucose, so
while the insulin may cover the carbs eaten in the meal the bg
will still rise later due to the protein-turned glucose. There
was more to it than that but that was the gist of it. The
solutions given were to either bolus for the high if it occurred,
eat less protein, or as you said, set a temp basal, square or
dual wave, etc. I would suspect that this is part of the problem
that many folks experience with pizza causing highs like this.

Nancy said:
Steak is one of Jenna's hardest foods.  We've found that setting
a temp
basal rate of 160% after dinner is finished helps - but almost
always end up
bolusing down highs, even then.  And it hangs up there like you

Take care, Kerri
Alulitsuti "mother of many children"
"The smarter a man is the more he needs God to protect him from
thinking he knows everything." George Webb (Pima) 1959