[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #978

 Hi Carol:
Sorry, this is long....
Your numbers are really good.  I have been on the pump 4 years, last HbAic
was 6, which made me very happy.  However, the last few months I have had
trouble sleeping and I always test my bgs when I have to get up.  So,I have
been doing a "homemade" scattergram on my bgs.  What I have found it
driving me crazy.  Between 1 & 5 AM I go way up and sometimes way down.  I
will wake up with a good reading now (77 to 140) and then from 7:00 am to
10:30 PM I have dawn phenomenon which, even fasting, will drive me up past
200.  I have been tweaking basels, currently set at 1.0 all day, 1.1 from
12:00 to 3:00 am, 1.3 from 3 to 6:00 am and then 1.5 from 7:00 to 10:00 am.
 For a few days I thought that was doing fine, until I began going too low
at 10:30 am.  Then for the last two nights, I have gone to bed at about
112, waked up at 81.  I slept well and did not check my bgs all night.  The
numbers in the wee hours of the morning are driving me nuts...I can't get
them level.  Now I have about decided that if I go to bed at a good number
and wake up at a good number, maybe I should just leave it alone.  I get so
stressed when I am not at "good numbers" which I consider 80 to 140.   I
just can't seem to keep them close.    It is so frustrating, isn't it.

Part of my problem is one night I will have a big salad for dinner at about
5:30 pm and pretzels or a banana about 8:30 or 9:00.  On the nights I eat
later  and I don't have a snack, I either do well, or go low.   Sometimes I
find myself changing my basals every few nights.  Just yesterday, I
realized I was (picture me smacking my forehead and saying "DUMMY") I was
forgetting that humalog peaks in 1-2 hours for me and the way I set my
basals was not accounting for that. So tonight I will rechart and reset.

I am 58 and I think our bodies, no matter what our age, are constantly
changing.  I have seen too many people on this list have things going well,
then out of the blue, things changes.    I love my pump and would not give
it up.  I know going back to MDI woud give me more frustration.  I will
just keep trying, keep tweaking and working toward better results...

I sympathize with your frustration.  I just wanted you to know that so many
of us have similar problems.  It appears to be on on going effort.

Hey IPers,
Does anyone have good numbers all the time?  Does anyone have a week
without a 200 or a 40?   If there are any of you I want to know how you do

 wish I could [Bonnie Richardsn]