Re: [IP] Is this normal

(I'm leaving your message intact below for reference!)

First thing that strikes me is that yes, the averages are fantastic!!!!
What was your A1c?

Second thing is, that if you're including postprandial BGs in your
calculations, and your definition of a high is 140, you're showing highs
that really aren't high -- that is, a postprandial BG between 140 and
200, while higher than a completely non-diabetic person, is generally
NOT considered a problem in diabetics. All the information I've read
says that complications don't set in until postprandial BGs are
consistently above 180 - 200 most of the time. That's the reason that
they set the definition of the diabetic 2-hr postprandial glucose at

The lows, on the other hand, ARE a problem. If they occur consistently
at a certain time of day, then I think you would be justified in
LOWERING the basal that affects that time period. Even as little as .1
unit per hour might make a difference.

Public confession time: I did a lot of fiddling with my basals myself,
and then presented the results to my doc. Fait accompli. He couldn't
argue with the numbers. BUT if you decide to do that, you need to be
VERY slow and cautious about it, because you don't want to launch
yourself on a roller coaster of lows and rebounds.
For myself,  I've set my goals at <110 fasting and before meals, and
<200 postprandially. I DON'T always achieve these goals -- I'd say I
wake up above 110 at least 7 days out of the month, and I go over 200
postprandially maybe 25% of the time. On the other hand I only have
maybe one or two hypos a month. My last A1c was 6.1 -- not QUITE normal
range, but pretty acceptable for all that!

I'm not terribly worried about not achieving my goals ALL the time
because I'm pretty close most of the time, and an occasional unexpected
high or low, while uncomfortable,  is NOT going to hurt me in the long
run. I'd LIKE an absolutely normal A1c (especially given that I'm a low
glycator), but I'm too busy living life to expect perfection.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other responses; at least gives you
something to think about!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted