[IP] Re: (not really) cheating to get some sleep

> From: "Lori Kissick" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Re: Cheating to get some sleep
> I dont know if you will call it cheating but last night. . . I told myself I was not
> staying up all night again I needed some sleep so for snack I got him to eat
> poridge as it makes him go a little high. So
> anyway I got a good nights sleep thanks to the poridge.
> Lori mom to Ryan

I don't call that cheating; I call it reality!  As long as it is not something you are doing all the time, don't worry.  The body can only take so much sleep deprivation, and a good night's sleep does amazing things in terms of restoring perspective and motivation.  If I'm dealing with a stubborn low that is keeping me awake, I sometimes eat more
than I need to in order to sleep without fear of the low returning.  I simply correct for it in the morning and get on with life.

Don't be too hard on yourself, and be careful about that word "cheat".  Diabetes is a tough and constant thing to deal with.  It requires dozens of small decisions to be made every day.  Sometimes the blood sugar is more important, and sometimes getting the sleep or having the pizza can make all the difference in the quality of life.

My best to you and to Ryan.  You are teaching him a balanced approach to life with diabetes.