Humalog and Sil/end/Comforts was Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #17

Jen Woodall wrote:

> 1.    I currently use Velosulin, which has been fine for me.  My CDE frequently
> suggests that I might want to try
>       Humalog.  I'm a little reluctant to fix something that is not broken, but would
> like to hear about others'
>       experiences making that switch.  What specifically has been positive/negative
> about switching?

Thing is that the pump depends on being able to respond to immediate needs,
rather than
day at a time schedules. Velosulin lasts fairly long, and what you take fro a
meal may
result in needing a snack before the next meal to cover the "tail " left over
from the
earlier bolus.

With Humalog this is much less of a problem. There is still a minor "tail" with
it,
but much less of a problem, so it really tends to free people up from eating on
a too
rigid schedule. Many poeple here have found it very effective, but the caveat is
that
Humalog has an allergic reaction with some people, and the only way to know is
try it.

> 2.     I use QRs and have had ongoing issues with tape.  The original tape caused
> major irritation, so I used
>         Polyskin, then inserted the set, then put the MiniMed tape over it.  That was
> fine, until they came out with
>         the new, unimproved tape.  It doesn't irritate my skin, but it certainly
> doesn't last long!  Anyway, I'm
>         wondering about the Silhouettes that seem to be a hot topic on this list.
> Feedback, please.  Are they also
>         quick release?

Yes, they are Quick release, that's why this Quick (Ted, that is,) uses them. No
only
are they quick release, but the base on the skins is flat and splits in the
middle,
pulling out across the skin, so it doesn't affect the set at all. The large tape
base
is also very good, very few people have problems with it.

To see it you may want to go to MiniMed's webpage where they have pictures of
it, at:

http://minimed.com/files/silh_01.htm

Ted Quick
email @ redacted