[IP] Nutrition info, Fructosamine Test, Hormones Hormones Hormones!

RE: Does anyone out there know where to get nutrition info for restaurant
chains not like Mcdonald's (I have Lily's guide) but to places like Red
Lobster, Applebee's Chili's etc. I tried calling the company's but they
weren't very helpful.

You might try the book "Fast Food Facts" by Marion J. Franz, Ms., R.D, CDE,
ISBN1-56561-1, Chronimed Publishing.  It has several fast food restaurants,
but also has Red Lobster, Ponderosa and Denny's, just to name a few.  My
husband hates the book-he doesn't want to know how many fat grams are in
his Whopper with chees and large fries!  :-)  The book lists calories,
carbs, protein, fat, sat fat, cholesterol, sodium and exchanges.  Price
varies whether you buy trade or pocket-size paperback.

Another excellent book that would help in non-chain restaurants is
"Exchanges for All Occasions" also by Marion Franz, ISBN 1-885115-35-0.
This book lists calories, fat, carbs and exchanges for common dishes served
in Asian (Chinese and Japanese), Indian, Italian, Jewish and Mexican (just
to name a few) restaurants, some fast food restaurants, some common
convenience foods.  It also makes suggstions for smart choices in these
restaurants, for snacking, etc.  It is a good "all-around book" for anyone
who is carb-counting.

RE: "I have a friend whose 7 year old daughter is IDDM.  She has been a
diabetic for
about 4 years.  Her blood sugars are very inconsistent and usually on the high
side.  Her ped. has just informed them that she is insulin resistant and the
only advice he gave was to not let her lose or gain weight and to do the best
they could with her injections.  Her mom has asked me to ask this group if
have any ideas to help her and if the pump will work.  Any advice would be
helpful.  Unsure what kind of insulin she is presently taking.
Thanks, Gina"

I am what some have called Type 1 1/2 (I didn't make it up-though I am
leaning towards the label "Type Wierd-0!").  I am insulin resistant but I
don't produce any insulin either.  If her daughter does not produce insulin
then the pump is the way to go, no question.  Her insulin resistance is
irrelevant-she will just pump more insulin than someone else her age.  If
mom is motivated to help her daughter with the pump therapy then I would
find a doctor willing to work with them.  In fact that is what I did.  When
I got a no answer I found someone willing to work with me and I have never
regretted it.  My HBA1c is now 7.0, down from 10.6!  Don't give up!!!

Joanne wrote:

>HELP!  I went this morning to get an A1C at my endo's.  He had a 'new
>that does what is called a Frutosamine Test(please, excuse the spelling) that
>tests for sugar over the past month.  The test took about 5 minutes to run.
>It said my average for the past month was 210!  Well, not according to my

I hate to tell you but someone messed up in your doctor's office.
(Unfortunately they probably won't admit it!  I had a ER doctor do an
Accucheck and get a reading of 140, my meter said 340 at the same time.
The lab test came back at 319-but the doc said her meter was right and
couldn't be wrong because they calibrate it every day and they had been
testing patients all evening! Oh well, enough ranting! :-)) Diabetes
Self-Management magazine had a article about various blood tests for
measuring overall control and they highlighted the fructosamine test.
According to the article a fructosamine level of 250 would mean your
average blood glucose level would be 120 and your HbA1c would be 6.  Since
your level was lower at 210 YOU ARE DOING GREAT!  You can read the article
in the May June 1998 issue of Diabetes Self-Management or read the entire
article online at:

To Deb about basal changes
(All you guys out there skip this, it is girl talk!)

My basal rate changes throughout the month according to my periods.  The
first half I need less insulin and wake up with BG between 70-80.  The
second half is a different story.  My morning BG is 130-140 and I need much
more insulin for my meal boluses.  Not everyone is as sensitive to these
hormonal changes.  All I do is try to adjust to the increase need, not beat
myself up about some higher numbers knowing the change is only temporary.
Wait til you hit perimenopause, then the roller coaster ride begins!  Lucky
me, I started at age 36!

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 06:57:09 -0500
From: "bdniles" <email @ redacted>
I do have a history of not having =
much pattern before I went on the pump and during my period I'm all over =
the board. At least on the pump I seem to be able to see patterns and =
fix them, unfortunately they keep changing. My A1C for the first three =
months on the pump was 6.1 so the hard work is definitely worth it and I =
must be doing something right. But I was wondering if anyone else =
fluctuates or if I just haven't discovered the right basals yet? Thanks.

And to everyone who has made suggesstions about my "itchy belly" problem,
both privately and in this digest, I give a heart-felt THANK YOU!!!  I
tried putting a dressing on first then inserting the set through the
dressing and so far I've stopped scratching.  AHHHHHHH it feels so much
better!!!  Everyone has been a tremendous help!  It's nice to talk with
people who truly understand what I am facing.  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!

Kim, pumping since July 1998