Re: [IP] Frequent basal changes

I do, quite a bit.  Things tend to work well for a few days and then something slips.  A little of that is me -- there are a limited # of things that I can time and dose the insulin exactly for and sometimes I'm just off -- some of it seems to be small shifts in life, body etc.  My doctor says some people are more like that than others but thinks its far less unusal than I do.  (I'm always fussing about why I can't get it right).  I suspect there is still a lot I could learn with the newer tools and getting rid of years of old pump habits.  He also points out that I test lots and that I test when I am off lots and many diabetics avoid testing when they are off (just correct or avoid it -- but if I don't correct I don't swing back around). He thinks those intimidating stories and statistics don't reflect that.  I don't know.  At any rate, that's all I can figure out.

bdniles wrote:

 A lot has been said on the list about once basals are set they are rarely changed...is anyone else having trouble with having to change their basals frequently? I have a couple of vanilla days then something starts creeping up. This time I didn't even get a vanilla day. I had been working on my mid-morning to lunch time sugars (yesterday I was perfect) except that now I need to track my nighttimes. Monday I woke around 6a with a 302 (went to bed around 9 with 123 plus 10CHO snack). Tuesday at 1am I was 286 (but had played volleyball and had done a temp lower basal (which usually works) did a bolus and woke around 6 with 170. Last night I was 233 around 9, bolused checked at 1a and was 129, awoke at 6 at 332. Here we go again! I do have a history of not having much pattern before I went on the pump and during my period I'm all over the board. At least on the pump I seem to be able to see patterns and fix them, unfortunately they keep changing. My A1C for the first three months on the pump was 6.1 so the hard work is definitely worth it and I must be doing something right. But I was wondering if anyone else fluctuates or if I just haven't discovered the right basals yet? Thanks. Debdxd 7/77pumping since 12/98