[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #16

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Insulin Resistent
> I have a friend whose 7 year old daughter is IDDM.  She has been a diabetic for
> about 4 years.  Her blood sugars are very inconsistent and usually on the high
> side.  Her ped. has just informed them that she is insulin resistant and the
> only advice he gave was to not let her lose or gain weight and to do the best
> they could with her injections.  Her mom has asked me to ask this group if they
> have any ideas to help her and if the pump will work.  Any advice would be
> helpful.

Step 1:    Consult another pediatrician, preferably one who is well-versed in
diabetes care and insulin pump
              therapy.  I'm certainly not saying the doc is wrong, but the attitude
strikes me as pretty rigid.  There are
              options in terms of treatment, and I would question any doctor who is
not making full use of them.

As an adult who had "bouncy" blood sugars for about a decade on injections, the
pump has certainly helped level them out and has reduced my daily dosage.

> I've also been reading about the battery problem.  I am lucky to get 3
> weeks out of my batteries if I use Minimed ones.  The Everready batteries I
> bought only lasted three days!

The battery discussion fascinates me.  I buy Energizer 357s off the shelf at any
local CVS and have never had to replace them more often than every 2 months.  I
have a 506, so no backlight, and take 30-45 units/day.

> What, in your opinions, are the advantages of the pump?

Flexibility, control, no longer being a slave to a schedule or rigid diet.
Sleeping until noon.  Having the dessert and the wine.  Or not eating because I
happen not to be hungry.  More even blood sugars.  The long-term health benefits
are obvious, but the day-to-day conveniences are what make me so happy to be

> What do you think the disadavantages pump are?

Some people might consider frequent testing to be a disadvantage, although I
personally do not.  Dealing with the beach in the summer is a pain.  I don't have a
water proof pump and am not fond of the bulky waterproof MiniMed case, but water
proof pumps are available for those who need them.