Re: [IP] air in the syringe

Here is a little trick that I learned along the way; if you actually
create a large bubble in the syringe by taking in some air then use that
to "suck" up all of the little bubbles, it is then easy to remove the
large bubble (and all of the small ones along with it)!  This works for
me but as the lingo goes... YMMV

Joy
DM '82
MM507 '97
Pharm.D. '99

susan leahey wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips on how to draw up th insulin into the
syringe w/o
> getting air in it? We had a terrible time doing this with my son's
site
> chage on Sun. (it was our first time). We ended up back at the endo's
> yesterday to do it again. Ryan is using the Minimed 507c. I've been
> practicing on and off since we got home and I still end up with
bubbles in
> the neck.I flick them out but they seem to multiply.  Any help would
be
> appreciated.

OK, the main thing is you have to get most air out of the neck before
flicking
the syringe or it DOES just break up the bubbles and spread them around.
After
you push air into the vial with it held right side up (bottom on a
table, for
instance) pull about half as much insulin in as needed into the syringe
then
push the remaining air out. Have no more air in the neck, perhaps just a
small
bubble in the needle base, then flick the side of the syringe with it
held
at about 45 degrees or somewhat more, and transfer all bubbles still
there
into the neck. Push collected bubbles into the vial  if they build up
too much.

That's how I do it, anyway.

Ted Quick