Re: [IP] basal rates

Duck And Barb wrote:
> Question:  Erica's sugars consistently go up after 11:30pm.until mid
> morning.
> Most nights we see this....  11:30pm-108, 3:00am- 234, 7:00am-180
> My question is, if we want to stop the gradual rise in blood sugars
> around midnight to 3am, when do we increase the basal rate....would it
> be 1-2 hours before the actual onset of increased blood sugars and then
> lower the basal rate 1-2 hours before it actually starts to show a
> pattern of coming down?  Most of the literature is based on Regular
> insulin and Humalog is so much faster.

No, those instructions would fit Regular, not Humalog. I'd suggest
adding to her first (Midnight) basal rate slowly, probably 0.1 unit
at a time, until it gets to a reasonable point, then leave it there.

I suspect she's showing a growthpattern that's been noted in youngsters:
it seems the body gets busy growing during the night, so you get a
reverse Dawn Phenomenon.

Ted Quick