Re: [IP] Insulin Resistent

email @ redacted wrote:
> I have a friend whose 7 year old daughter is IDDM.  She has been a diabetic for
> about 4 years.  Her blood sugars are very inconsistent and usually on the high
> side.  Her ped. has just informed them that she is insulin resistant and the
> only advice he gave was to not let her lose or gain weight and to do the best
> they could with her injections.  Her mom has asked me to ask this group if they
> have any ideas to help her and if the pump will work.  Any advice would be
> helpful.  Unsure what kind of insulin she is presently taking.

OK, it's not a pump idea,m but maybe what worked for me many years ago would
help her. I was VERY unstable as a kid, daily went for hypo to hyper several
times withh no consistent pattern that anybody could figure out.

My endo tried every combination of insulins, schedules and whatever that he
could come up with, and nothing seemed to help much. After battling with it
for about 6 years he started prescribing a drug (now unavailable) which is
rrelated to Metformin (aka Glucophage), which IS now in use. This was coupled
with a slow insulin such as Lente, or possibly (though less likely) NPH.

Worked like a dream for me, and is now reappearing in some areas. Thing is
that Metformin works to reduce the opposite side of the scale from insulin,
by surpressing the livers output of glycogen which can be REALLY out of
whack for some diabetics. In effect it reduces insulin resistance, which
is why I mention it for this girl.

Hope this helps.

Ted Quick