Re: [IP] Pregnancy/artifical sweetners

At 10:56 PM -0500 3/29/99, Donna wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone has been told to not use artificial sweeteners while
>trying to get pregnant or while pregnant or nursing?  My CDE told me she
>recommends not using them since there are no studies that have been done about
>the effects on a fetus or nursing baby.  Does any one have information

In the book, "What to Expect When You're Expecting," the authors (2 nurses)
say that few studies have been done on humans, but animal studies point to
a slight "increase in cancer in the offspring when pregnant mothers ingest"
saccharin. Also, saccharin crosses the placenta, while aspartame does not.
"On the other hand, studies have shown no harmful effects from the use of
typical amounts of . . . aspartame."

My high-risk obstetricians felt that aspartame was fine, just don't over do
it. I used it during both my pregnancies, I just didn't eat a ton of it.

Hope this helps!

(Type I, 26 years, D. pumper since 10/95)