Re: [IP] Bad First Day

>Hi Sam,  It was not my idea to keep the mid-morning, after-lunch snacks.
>They want to keep my eating habits as they were for now.  I'm not sure why.  I
>was told to bolus only if my snack is above 15 grams.   Since I have the basal
>set to 0 I'm going to have to wake up through the night to bolus.   Thanks for
>your support.  Ronee

I'm really surprised that they set you basals at 0... when I started last
June, they set me up immediately with 0.7 units/hr using some sort of
formula (based on the amount of NPH I had used before). You need to have
some background insulin at all times... your basal serves the same purpose
as your long-term insulin. Also, have you determined your initial
carb/bolus ratio yet? With mine, it's about 15g/unit. So, a 15g snack would
rate a 1u bolus. You wouldn't normally deal with a 1 unit injection, but
with the pump even a 0.5u bolus is easy.

Once they get the preliminary basals going you need to discover what your
real needs are. As an example, I found that I needed more in the early
morning and much less in the afternoon. Setting these up properly, will let
you skip or delay meals without any harm. There are some FAQs on our web
page that will help you fine tune your rates. The book "Pumping Insulin" by
Walsh is very good too.

Although, your medical team will start you out, you are ultimately
responsible for your own treatment. So, the more you learn and the more you
can adjust on your own the better you'll be. It seems scary now, but in a
few weeks you'll start to feel like a pro. And, you always have this group
if you have questions.

Let us know how it goes...