> Ruth- I'm curious as to the source of this info.  I was a DCCT participant for 8 years
> and had extensive and continual testing designed to pick up on the earliest signs of
> damage.  With tight control, minor deterioration was frequently not found, even with 15+
> years duration of diabetes.  I certainly don't want to be blind (ha!) to the realities
> of complications, but my understanding is that deterioration can be avoided.  Of course,
> minor deterioration is inevitable eventually, but that's whether one has diabetes or
> not.
> One thing I'm curious about, in relation to high protein diets--is a higher level of
> protein more taxing to a completely healthy kidney?

The original place I saw the data was in 1990 at the University of Virginia.  I was in grad
school and an eye doctor (I had a regular appointment) at the med school, showed me his
serious of photos (or images?) of eyes of diabetics over time.  They were matched with those
of non diabetics and with kidney tissue.  I later found an article in the med school library
but at the time I couldn't afford to zerox it and so I never saved the information (I think
I assumed it would be easy to come by later if I wanted it again).   The results were pretty
stricking.  However, more recent research does show that the deterioration doesn't happen
linearly and sometimes even reverses itself for periods of years at a time.  The doctor made
the point that he thought this was info the diabetic community (by which I think he meant
the ADA, the AMA, and doctors who see diabetic patients) generally ignored all this stuff
(his research) but that geneticists were going to use it for drug development.  Remember
this is in 1990 so things have changed quite a bit.

I was curious about the protein issue too and I haven't entirely solved that one.  I tried
the medical library at Kaiser.  All the "recommendations" say that you should eat less
protein IF you have kidney or eye damage and I've found research comparing the progress or
development of thos complications for people who eat heavy protein diets vs. those who eat
light protein diets.  Keep in mind no one is saying don't eat any protein (american
"conventional" diets -- the kind where people eat hamburgers and steaks tend to be pretty
protein heavy).  I've read a couple of light weight articles that say people with no
complications should not alter their protein intake so the easy answer is no, it has no
effect.  When I was dancing as a teenager and we used to all do horrible diet things, one
girl died of anorexia and a parent (not mine) decided that the rest of us needed a good
anatomy lesson to understand the risks of not eating a well-balanced diet.  I know that a
diet with lots of protein and little carbs and fat (which does make you loose weight
quickly) can cause you to burn ketones and break down body tissue for energy.  I remember
that one of the risks the paret brought in medical literature and pictures of was kidney
failure..  So, eating lots of protein and no carbs or fat (or very little) is a dumb idea
for anyone, diabetic or not.   Eating more protein in a reasonable diet may or may not have
any effect for diabetics and it seems like it is one of those depends on who you ask

Sorry this is so long!