[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #11

Please don't feel you have to apologize for having a rough day.  Hang in there, and be
gentle with yourself.  That's every bit as important as having healthy blood sugars.

I have been going to the same diabetes clinic for 11 years and seeing the same CDE, who
is wonderful.  In all those years of excellent medical care and good bedside manner,
there is one appointment I remember best.  I am normally in excellent control and very
motivated when it comes to diabetes.  This particular appointment fell during a period
where I just felt angry and sick of being vigilant and having to constantly deal with
the headache of diabetes.  Really feeling like I wanted that "vacation" diabetes never
affords you.  We were going through blood sugars, and Deb (the CDE) was suggesting
various things I could do to improve my numbers.  At some point I stopped her and, in
tears, said, "You know, I just feel totally overwhelmed, and I know my control lately is
not great, but right now it's all I can do."  And, to her credit, she just said, "OK."
I will never forget that and have always felt grateful that she, as a medical
professional, validated the struggle of life with diabetes and trusted me to know what I
could and could not do.

> From: Melvin Abbott <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] high blood sugars
> I wish I could go one day with out talking about my bg. I know my family
> get tired of hearing about it. I'm so sick of this
> deaease I'm trying to take one day at a time but it gets hard. I know
> you all know how I feel. Sorry I just needed someone to talk to.
> Tammy

Ruth- I'm curious as to the source of this info.  I was a DCCT participant for 8 years
and had extensive and continual testing designed to pick up on the earliest signs of
damage.  With tight control, minor deterioration was frequently not found, even with 15+
years duration of diabetes.  I certainly don't want to be blind (ha!) to the realities
of complications, but my understanding is that deterioration can be avoided.  Of course,
minor deterioration is inevitable eventually, but that's whether one has diabetes or

One thing I'm curious about, in relation to high protein diets--is a higher level of
protein more taxing to a completely healthy kidney?

> From: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Protein diets
> if you have been diabetic for a
> significant amount of time, you will start to accumulate (even if you have
> no actual complications) minor deterioration of some body functions.  This
> doesn't get "measured" until you have actual complications, but research
> shows that it can be spotted in those with reasonably good control in as
> little as 5-10 years.

>  I seem to remember that the other camp that
> folks talked about at the time being Camp Glyndon, in Maryland I think, and
> it was all diabetic.

This is correct.  Camp Glyndon is located outside of Baltimore and has sessions for
children and families.  I never attended the camp but have heard very positive things
from people whose kids have attended.  It has been around for quite awhile.

I can't tell you all how validating it is to hear the horror stories about dealing with
insurance.  While I wouldn't wish it on any of you, it is helpful to know I am not alone
in my frustration.  Sometimes I feel like calling the insurance company to discuss yet
another claim is the *worst* thing I can do for my health!  I recently switched
insurance companies due to leaving my job for self-employment.  I carefully researched
each company, spoke with each of them about their coverage of diabetes-related supplies,
and chose one based on that and other factors.  When I recently called the company I
chose about ordering insulin pump supplies, they told me they didn't cover any supplies
or the pump itself!  So. . . I am anticipating fighting that battle here soon.

I will affirm here what others have said:  It is worth calling and calling and calling
and rocking the boat about.  I have certainly had positive results by being a pain in
someone's. . .  My other advice is to keep excellent records of every single interaction
you have regarding the issue.  I have a phone log in my computer with names, dates,
claim information, etc. for each phone call, letter, and fax communication with the
insurance company.  I can't tell you how many times I have needed to use that

One more question: What are people's experiences in terms of longevity of pumps?  I have
been using a Minimed 506 for 4 years, with no problems so far.  How long can I expect
the machine to last?  Does it need to be "serviced" at some point?  Any feedback
here--anecdotal or "official"--would be helpful.