Re: [IP] safety loop

email @ redacted asked:

>> Can someone please explain the safety loop to me? I'm new at this.
>> I understand the importance, just not how to do it!
Unlike Ted, I *have* pulled the cannula base out on a couple occasions
while using Tenders / Comforts. I still don't use a safety loop in them,
but for some people, especially if you're involved in activities which
might cause serious tugs and pulls (kids, gymnasts, adults who work in very
active jobs, etc.), it might be helpful to do this.

Re: How to do it: Picture the cannula on the left of your screen, the pump
on the right, with the tubing running across the screen. Start at the
cannula end of the tubing, then move toward the pump. A couple inches away
from the cannula, "loop" the tubing back over itself, in a small circle
about 1.5 inches in diameter. You end up with what looks like a good sized
"O" in the loop. You want this "O" to be not more than a couple inches from
the infusion site. Place a piece of tape over the loop to hold it in place.
That's your safety loop.

Now, if the tubing or pump gets pulled on, the loop takes the strain,
rather than pulling directly on the cannula or needle. It helps.

Safety loops are not as convenient when you use "disconnect" type sets,
like the Tenders, Comforts, Silhouettes, since they hinder disconnecting
the set. They do work fine with the SofSets, since the base of the set has
a "tail" piece of tubing which you can loop and tape down, while allowing
you to disconnect.

I use safety loops most of the time when I use bent needle sets
("Classics"), or Rapid sets, which don't disconnect. I use Hypafix tape for
holding down the loop. It works great for me.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted