Re: [IP] ANOTHER PUMPER TO GO

Having watched the MM video on how to put the sof-sets in, and how to program the
basal rates, I set up the pump, and was using it for two weeks prior to my meeting
with the educator.  The educator gave me a stern look, to which I sheepishly
replied, "the worst thing you can do to an engineer is give him a new gadget, tell
him how to use it, and then tell him not to use it."  She laughed, and the
education is worth the time (about 2 hours for me).

Last Wednesday, my son came to my bed at 2am.  I did my 3am blood sugar reading
(98!!!), went back to sleep to be woken up by Jeremy pulling on my infusion set
(sofset).  I didn't bother to check on it (BAD MOVE!!!), and in the morning, after
I went to work, my BG was 290, and I had a "No delivery alarm".  I re-bolused 6
units, and got another alarm, then gave myself a 10 unit shot of Humalog.  I never
had such a miserable high BG!!  When I pulled the tape off, I noticed the canula
had been pulled out, and was kinked against my skin.  I went home to get a new
infusion set in, checked my ketones (moderate), verified my BG was going down, and
drank diet pepsi like a fish.  I never want to do that again!!!  BTW, now I use
the Silhouettes.

My doctor's assistant asked me if I wanted to experiment with the square wave
bolus and dual wave boluses.  I found that using the dual wave for protein rich
foods helps.  I found that using the normal for the carbohydrates (10:1, I weight
180-ish), and a 20:1 for the protein on the square wave portion of the dual wave
for 3 hours.  I appreciate any feedback on the last paragraph...or any of the
others.

$.02

Jeff