[IP] Importance of the "safety loop"

I just wanted to relate an incident that occurred last night at bedtime.
I had checked my BS at 11:00pm upon retiring and it was 200. I didn't
think much of it after all we hadn't eaten until 8:00. I bolused 2.0
units to bring it down and went to bed. At 12:45 I awoke with the
feeling that my blood sugar was high, checked and BS was 486! I checked
my set, everything appeared OK, checked to make sure pump was
delivering, bolused to bring my blood sugar back down, set my alarm for
2:00 and went back to bed. At 2:00 my BS was 550!. I gave myself an
injection assuming the pump was malfunctioning or there was a problem
with the set, and proceeded to change the set. Upon removing the tape I
discovered the tubing had come out of the infusion set where it connects
at the very end. That's when it hit me that I had dropped my pump when
changing my clothes and it had been dangling by the tubing. Now this has
happened to me before but I had always used a safety loop when taping
down the soft set. This time I hadn't. I guess that loop is important in
that it will prevent the tubing from being pulled out of the set and
divert the flow of insulin. In my case it leaked out underneath the
tape. Well, I'm back to normal this afternoon, just wanted to pass this
episode on and tell everyone how important that loop really is.

---Jim Lieb