Re: [IP] carb counting beans

In a message dated 3/21/99 8:59:03 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< How do you carb count for beans?  My dietition advised counting half the
 carbs for beans as they are so high in protein as well.
 I had 1-1/2 cups of kidney beans with 1-1/2 c. chedddar cheese on top.
 The carbs for this amount of kidneys are 60 Gm.  I bolused for half that
 amount and am hypo 1-1/2 hours later.  Any other experiences with beans? >>

1 1/2 cups of cheese? Gee, that's a lot of fat -- which slows down the
absorption of carbohydrates. Probably why you were hypo.