[IP] Re: []

I am going to be graduating from college in May :) I will be going off
of the health insurance plan (Blue cross, blue shield) that I have had
since birth.  I have accepted a job which will provide me with coverage.
First, I would assume that diabetes is a pre-existing condition.
Therefore most of the plans require a 1 year period before coverage for
these conditions starts.  The other plans are HMO's or PPO's (YIKES!)
What kind of fight can I expect from them? Is there any way I can find
out if supplies will be covered before I pick a plan?  Are Endos
considered primary providers????  I am just a little nervous about how
all of this works, I feel like they are holding all of the cards and i
am just here in the dark!!

Joy Spoljaric

DM since '82 at the tender age of 7
Pumping since May 97
a1c's still suck :-(
>>>I have been eligible for medicare since I was disabled in 1995.After about
6 months I joined an HMO.I have not had any problems with it at all, even
though I hear a lot of horror stories about HMO's. They covered all of my pump
supplies up to 80%. This year they covered 100%.I pay a co-pay for insulin and
glucose test strips and other covered prescriptions.I have no problems getting
my referrals to my endo.I believe I was able to choose an endo as my primary
Dr. if I wanted to.So I don't have anything to complain about regarding
HMO's.My son had the same company, though not Medicare financed, and he did
not have any problems either.He also had basically the same benefits. I hope
my input makes a difference.Good luck choosing the right plan, I know what
it's like not having insurance,That's how I ended up in the condition I'm in!
Dxd 1971
pumg 5/97