[IP] [Fwd: JDF Washington Report No. 7]

I realize this is a long post to forward, but it contains some important
and exciting information.  Note that Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) is
introducing a bill to fund Medicare coverage for insulin pumps and
supplies.  This is certainly a cause worth rallying around!

Sen. Collins is from my area, and I know her family.  I plan to send her
a letter of appreciation and support.

Phil DuBois
email @ redacted

-- BEGIN included message

Juvenile Diabetes Foundation--Government Relations

JDF Washington Report
Vol. II, No. 7
March 19, 1999
1.      Diabetes Funding Letter to Chairman Porter  244
 Signatures!
2.      Diabetes Research Working Group to Brief Capitol Hill
3.      Senator Collins Introduces Medicare Insulin Pump Bill
4.      Congress Recognizes JDF Vermont Volunteer, Age 9

DIABETES FUNDING LETTER TO CHAIRMAN PORTER
244 SIGNATURES!

The Congressional Diabetes Caucus has circulated a letter to all
Members of the House of Representatives (see March 6, No. 6,
Vol. II) urging their colleagues to sign a letter in support of
increased federal funding for diabetes research.  Based on
recommendations by the Diabetes Research Working Group
(DRWG), the letter outlines the need for $827 million for diabetes
research for FY2000, up from $449 million appropriated in FY99.
This letter will be delivered to Chairman John Porter (R-IL) who
chairs the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, and
Health and Human Services and Education on Tuesday, March 24.

DIABETES RESEARCH WORKING GROUP TO BRIEF
CAPITOL HILL

The Diabetes Research Working Group will participate in a special
briefing hosted by Chairman John Edward Porter (R-IL) and the
House Labor/HHS/Education Subcommittee on Appropriations.
JDF Representative S. Robert Levine, MD will present JDF’s
interpretation of the congressionally mandated report.  The
Congressional Diabetes Caucus and other diabetes organizations
will also participate in the briefing on Tuesday, March 23.  To read
the DRWG executive summary, visit the JDF website at
http://www.jdfcure.org/drwg/ .

SENATOR COLLINS INTRODUCES S. 617, MEDICARE
INSULIN PUMP BILL

Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) introduced the “Medicare Insulin
Pump Coverage Act of 1999” on March 15, 1999.  Medicare does
not currently cover insulin pumps under any circumstance.

Medicare now covers diabetes testing supplies, insulin and
equipment.  A growing number of private insurers are now
including full or partial coverage for external insulin pumps.
Senator Collins cited research from the Diabetes Control and
Complications Trial that show significant delay or avoidance of
diabetes complications through tight blood glucose control.  JDF
Government Relations Chair Leah Mullin’s letter of support and
thanks to Senator Collins was published in the Congressional
Record.

CONGRESS RECOGNIZES JDF VOLUNTEER, AGE 9

Philip Burgin-Young is a nine-year-old from Burlington, Vermont
who sent a letter to  Representative Bernard Sanders (I-VT) and to
Senators Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and James Jeffords (R-VT).
Representative Sanders was so moved by the letter, he submitted it
to the Congressional Record on March 2, 1999.  The Members sent
Philip notes pledging their support for finding a cure for diabetes.
We congratulate Philip on his successful advocacy at a very young
age!

After describing what Philip must go through daily living with
diabetes, he concluded his letter by writing:

“I want a cure for diabetes so that I can do what I want with my
lifeI want to be healthy and I want to help other people by being
a scientist who helps to find cures for diseases.  I also want a cure
for all of the other people who have diabetes.  As hard as it is for
me with diabetes, at least I am lucky because my mom and dad and
sister help me try to take real good care of myself.  Some kids
aren’t so lucky and they end up in the hospital.

Will you please vote for more money for research to try to find a
cure for diabetes?  I know that with more money, scientists will be
able to find a cure more easily.  There are so many areas that are
being research and if they don’t have enough money, they can’t do
the research.  PLEASE HELP!”

Sincerely,

Philip Burgin-Young

How To Get Off This List: