[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V2 #882

Regarding "I am still fighting with my school about setting up 504 plans
for both of my
children. The principle agrees with doing it but guidance counsellors
must file the
paperwork and both have refused so far," I don't believe they can refuse
you. Diabetes is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. We
have a 504 done whenever our son's needs change. This 504 puts in
writing, legally, that he must be allowed access to the water fountain,
to the restroom, to snacks, to blood checks, to insulin, to exercise, to
calling a parent if he needs to. I thought we had all our ducks in a row
this year, only to discover that his 504 hadn't travelled to his current
teacher. (Her memory of this is different than mine, but I hate creating
waves for my son, so I didn't disagree.) Keep after them. If they don't
fill these forms out for you, they can lose funding. Your ADA, at some
level, could put pressure on the school system. Be vocal.

Joyce in ND